Bottled water has become a staple for American consumers, who drink billions of gallons annually. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) oversees the product’s safety, ensuring bottled water producers follow the requirements of the Environmental Protection Agency for drinking water safety.
With such significant consumption, it’s natural to wonder how long you can store bottled water and how to do so accurately.
Does Bottled Water Have an Expiration Date?
The FDA has determined that commercially bottled water doesn’t have a shelf life, since it comes from sanitary facilities subject to regular inspections and contains no additives to hasten spoilage.
Only New Jersey has ever mandated a two-year expiration date on bottled water. That 1987 regulation led to most manufacturers including expiration dates on their packaging. After finding no scientific basis to support expiration dates, the legislature has since repealed the statute.
While water doesn’t expire, some concerns are associated with its plastic bottles. These vessels can produce health concerns and odd tastes as they degrade over time and microplastics enter the water. Properly storing water in your warehouse, office or facility may help mitigate these risks.
How to Properly Store Water
The ideal storage conditions for bottled water include:
- Cool temperatures: Heat may speed up the microplastic release, so keeping bottles in a cool place is best.
- No direct sunlight: Similarly, direct sunlight can promote faster bottle decomposition and provide unwanted heat.
- No nearby chemicals: Plastic water bottles have some permeability, so you should store them away from any chemicals or household cleaners that could affect their taste.
Best Water Storage Solutions
Polymer Solutions International Inc. produces market-leading, food-grade bottled water racks and storage solutions for professionals in food and beverage, retail, pharmaceutical manufacturing and various other industries. We provide reusable and innovative designs, including:
- ProStack® lightweight modular racks: Try the 4-pocket rack to store up to eight 5-gallon water jugs each, or our 2-pocket style and 3-pocket model for increased storage in smaller footprints.
- BottleUp® tray racks: Maintain flexibility with vertical or horizontal storage with options in various sizes.
- UpRight™ series: Keep jugs in place securely with our UpRight platform systems and trays.
Improve Your Water Bottle Storage With Polymer Solutions International Inc.
We’ve been a trusted bottled water rack manufacturer and supplier since 1997, including designing and fabricating custom solutions. Our team focuses on sustainability, ongoing customer support and exceptional service.
Reach out to a team member today for more information or to request a personalized quote.