How Plastic Pallets Contribute to Food Safety and Compliance Standards
In the food and beverage industry, using plastic pallets instead of wooden ones is the wave of the future. Plastic pallets offer significant benefits over their counterparts and can often be recycled with the original manufacturer for your business’ profit. At Polymer Solutions International Inc., we believe in our sustainable and effective custom plastic pallets for food.
Plastic Pallets for Food and Beverage Transportation
Compared to wood pallets, which have been the standard in food, pharmaceutical and other sensitive materials transportation, plastic pallets are:
- Lighter: Plastic is lighter than wood and is usually much more durable. That means they can handle more weight and contribute less to overall shipping costs.
- Safer to handle: Wood pallets are held together with screws and nails. When your workers are moving hundreds of these pallets every day, it’s only a matter of time before someone gets injured. Plus, the longer you use a wood pallet, the more likely it is to break at these connection points and develop splinters — another safety concern, both for your team and the food loaded on it. Plastic pallets are one piece and cannot develop the same splinters.
- Contaminant-resistant: Bugs and parasites cannot infect plastic pallets, nor will contaminants like E. coli, Salmonella or Listeria become embedded in the material. Because of this, plastic pallets can last longer in the workspace ad prevent cross-contamination with fast, effective sanitation.
- Easier to sanitize: Speaking of sanitation, plastic succeeds here where wood fails. Wood is naturally porous, so even though wood pallets can be sanitized, traces of parasites can remain deep in the cracks and grooves. Plastic is nonporous and easily sanitized using soap and hot water or industrial sanitizers.
- Trackable: Some plastic pallets even have built-in radio frequency identification (RFID) tags, allowing facilities to keep track of where their pallets are, where they have been and where they are going. In case of contamination, this information is invaluable to everyone. It can help determine where the infraction took place and where the other potentially contaminated items were distributed. When you can resolve these concerns faster, everyone can stay healthier.
Order Plastic Pallets for Food Safety Today
Polymer Solutions International Inc. makes it easier than ever for you to transform your food and beverage transportation with safer, stronger and longer-lasting pallets. With the entire industry moving forward with plastic pallets, we can see a significant reduction in foodborne illnesses and cross-contamination everywhere. Request a free quote today and learn more about how you can do your part.