Disruption in the supply chain in recent years has caused some of the world’s leading companies to take measures to improve the transportation industry’s overall landscape. These efforts involve increased sustainability practices, advanced vehicle technology, improved warehouse operations and other solutions. While some delivery times have skyrocketed to unprecedented levels, new strategies are already improving material and product transport on the ground, air and sea.
Changes in the Material Handling and Supply Chain Industry
Some of the primary factors that are transforming supply chain logistics include:
- Shifting economic and industry fundamentals: Many factors contribute to the increased transportation demand, including lower taxes, increased consumer confidence, improved construction rates and the rejuvenation of United States manufacturing. These elements translate to increased raw material and product shipments and more vehicles on the road delivering them.
- The rise of the Amazon effect: While some businesses struggle to maintain reasonable delivery times, companies like Amazon continue to improve them. Because some companies find innovative ways to streamline their efforts, consumers expect it across the board.
- Frontline technology innovations: Inventions like aerial delivery drones and robotic long-haul trucks continue to improve and may go mainstream eventually. New delivery methods like these will help decrease the lag time caused by shortages of qualified vehicle operators.
- Advances in behind-the-scenes technology: Artificial intelligence and machine learning could play significant roles in material transport, similar to how they revolutionized the manufacturing industry decades ago. Besides optimizing shipping routes and choosing the best transport methods, these innovations can also enhance handling operations for warehouse distribution.
- Sustainable shipping methods: Companies worldwide, including Sysco and FedEx, are taking measures to reduce emissions and waste by replacing older vehicles with more sustainable options.
- Driverless technology: While drones and robotic trucks help improve long-haul transportation, companies like Uber plan on introducing driverless vehicles for local food deliveries.
Polymer Solutions International Inc. Material Handling Products and Logistics Management
Warehousing operations are just as critical to improving material transport as the vehicles that deliver the products. At Polymer Solutions International Inc., we take a technological approach to material handling by offering innovative plastic pallets and other shipping solutions that improve efficiency and increase sustainability. We use a proprietary manufacturing process that delivers a reusable product without sacrificing strength or durability.
Our knowledgeable packaging engineers have vast experience developing material handling solutions for nearly any industry, from manufacturing and distribution to food processing and pharmaceuticals. Our team can help analyze your operation and create a strategy to improve your efficiencies while helping alleviate national supply chain transportation demands.
Explore Our Material Handling Products Today
Browse our comprehensive selection of material handling products today to find a perfect solution for your operation. Please contact us online to request pricing or obtain additional product information.